Get This Free Cheat Sheet Guaranteed To Help Your Next Mix

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Peavey Autotune Guitar

Recently I posted an article about the creation of the Auto-Tune process and about how it's become a crutch for a lot of singers and producers, as well as an all-too overused effect. But this might actually be a great use for the process. I don't know how I overlooked this, but Peavey introduced the AT-200 Auto-Tune guitar at the most recent NAMM show.

When I first heard about an auto-tune guitar, I was very skeptical, but after watching the demo, I must admit that I'm intrigued. If it can get you an always in-tune and intonated instrument, I can definitely see uses for it. Plus, there doesn't seem to be any latency that would impede using it, and it even responds to bends and makes alternate tunings a snap.

Check out the video and tell me what you think.



----------------------------------
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.


You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.


Don't forget to check out my Music 3.0 blog for tips and tricks on navigating social media and the new music business.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting. although the autotune part seems flawless (impressive even), i wonder how much of the character of the guitar or the player will come through. and they say no latency, but i've heard that before.

but with so many tuning options right there, the possibilities are enormous. i wouldn't mind roadtesting it. and at 500 usd it's affordable.

it will be interesting to see what further technical developments will bring.

Rand Bliss said...

Fascinating technology and I can envision its usefulness. However, call me old-fashioned I can also see the evil twin of plain laziness looming on the horizon. Not only for beginner guitarists but for the seasoned pro as well.

Why are we so enticed by making things easier? Easier isn't always automatically better.

High tech may have good intentions but there's always a compromise. Plus compared to all the great music that's been recorded and performed in the past proving what matters most is creativity and inspiration, not the latest gadget.

For example; give Edward Van Halen a cigar box with rubber bands on it and I'm certain he could coax out something better than the average guitar playing you hear lately. Why? Because he's a gifted musician who loves his craft and dedicated to the art itself, regardless of what particular tools he's currently using.

How about we stop playing with our toys and focus on the music instead?

Like Frank Zappa said 'Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar'.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...